Is there anything better than a perfect burger?
My mouth is watering just thinking about biting into a soft golden bun, hitting that perfectly juicy pattie, and having it all come together with some ooey-gooey cheese.
As residents of San Antonio, we seem to benefit from all that Texas livestock, which means there’s a ton of great burgers in San Antonio.
Some might even say there’s too many great burger joints in our town. Or at least that’s what you might be thinking whenever you have to decide where to grab one.
Lucky for you, I’m putting my 10+ years of living in San Antonio to good use as your local burger guide.
In this post, it’s all about the 14 best burgers in San Antonio, organized by what you’re in the mood for.
- Map of the Best Burger Spots in San Antonio
- Best All-Around Burger in San Antonio: Chris Madrid’s
- Messiest (But Best) Cheeseburger: Cheesy Jane’s
- Best Burger with Beer: Fattboy’s Burgers
- Best Gluten-Free Burger: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
- Best No-Frills Burger: Burger Boy
- Best Burger For True Texans: Armadillos
- Best Old-Fashioned Burger: Chester’s Hamburgers
- Best Burger Selection: Longhorn Cafe
- Best Social Scene: Big’z Burger Joint
- Best Vegan Burger: Project Pollo
- Craziest Spicy Burger Challenge: Chunky’s Burgers
- Best Burger With Live Music: Sam’s Burger Joint
- Best Charcoal-Grilled Burger In Town: Frontier Burger
- Best Chain Burger: Culver’s
Map of the Best Burger Spots in San Antonio
Best All-Around Burger in San Antonio: Chris Madrid’s
Chris Madrid’s is consistently voted as the best burger in all of San Antonio, and for good reason. It’s the perfect blend of fatty, juicy, crunchy wonderfulness wrapped in yellow butcher paper. The Cheddar Cheezy is a must for your first time at Chris Madrid’s, although the Porky’s Delight bacon burger is a top contender, too.
- Address: 1900 Blanco Road, San Antonio TX 78212
- Website: Chris Madrid’s
Messiest (But Best) Cheeseburger: Cheesy Jane’s
“Cheese” is in the name, after all. Cheesy Jane’s was my favorite burger haunt in college and its funky, retro atmosphere is a must for anyone visiting San Antonio.
I like to keep things simple by ordering the Cheesy Jane, a ½ pound burger with fries. I also love their sweet potato fries, malt shakes, and sampler basket. But whatever you order, be prepared for the grease to dribble down your chin! Cheesy Jane’s doesn’t mess around.
- Address: 4200 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Website: Cheesy Jane’s
Best Burger with Beer: Fattboy’s Burgers
With menu items like Fattchick and Fattdog, Fattboy’s burgers are sure to fill you up. We love their beer selection, which includes the weird-yet-delightful ice cream beer float (you’ve got to try it with a stout beer—trust me).
- Address: 2345 Vance Jackson Road, San Antonio TX 78213
- Website: Fattboy
Best Gluten-Free Burger: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Hopdoddy is a fun joint where you can enjoy tasty burgers and booze—without the gluten. Hopdoddy serves “normal” burgers, but if you or your pals have a gluten intolerance, everyone can eat here without feeling left out. Hopdoddy’s gluten-free buns are actually good, but if you aren’t in the mood for that, they can also wrap your burger in lettuce for a lighter option.
- Address: 17623 La Cantera Parkway, Suite 101, San Antonio TX 78257
- Website: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Best No-Frills Burger: Burger Boy
Burger Boy reminds me a lot of the California-based In-N-Out Burger. The menu is no-frills and very simple, but boy, the food is out of this world. They even serve zany shakes with flavors like Big Red, banana, coconut, and Neapolitan.
Oh, and don’t forget to add bacon and jalapenos to your burger! My husband swears that’s the only right way to eat a Burger Boy.
- Address: Five Locations around San Antonio
- Website: Burger Boy
Best Burger For True Texans: Armadillos
Armadillos is by far the most Texan burger joint on this list. I recommend the Fiesta Burger, which includes refried beans, pico, tortilla chips, and cheese. But if you really want to live large (it’s Texas, after all), you can try Armadillo’s Giant burgers. This is a 3-pound burger that takes up the entire plate, so come hungry or bring a friend.
- Address 1: 1423 McCullough Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212
- Address 2: SE Military Drive, San Antonio TX 78223
- Website: Armadillos
Best Old-Fashioned Burger: Chester’s Hamburgers
My six-year-old nephew loves Chester’s “polka dot” (poppy seed) buns, but there’s plenty to love about this down-home burger joint. It has a dive-y feel but an amazing selection of burgers and drinks.
Chester’s has been around for 35 years, serving up old-timey burgers and milkshakes. The Green Chile Cheeseburger is a must, but my husband and I have definitely fought over the last of Chester’s crunchy french fries, too.
- Address 1: 15321 San Pedro, Suite 200, San Antonio, TX 78232
- Address 2: 9980 I-10, San Antonio, TX 78230
- Address 3: 1006 NE Interstate 410 Loop, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Website: Chester’s Hamburgers
Best Burger Selection: Longhorn Cafe
The Longhorn Cafe serves burgers, chicken sandwiches, and other lunchtime favorites. It was one of the first San Antonio eateries I tried when I moved here in 2010, and it will always have a special place in my heart.
You absolutely have to try The Original Big Juicy™ if you’re new to San Antonio, but my personal favorite is The Bold Beaumont BBQ, a delectably crunchy BBQ burger with fried onions and cheese.
- Address: 17625 Blanco Road, San Antonio, TX 78232
- Website: Longhorn Cafe
Best Social Scene: Big’z Burger Joint
Our family attends at least one birthday party a year at Big’z. We love the setup of this burger joint, which also happens to serve one of the best burgers in San Antonio. You’re free to eat outside while the kids play or shelter from the hot Texas sun inside. The lines can get long on the weekends, though, so come early!
- Address 1: 2303 N Loop 1604 W, San Antonio TX 78258
- Address 2: 10106 TX-151, San Antonio, TX 78251
- Website: Big’z Burger Joint
Best Vegan Burger: Project Pollo
I switched to a mostly plant-based diet a year ago and, let me tell you, it’s tough eating out in a meat-loving town like San Antonio. While places like Earth Burger might tempt you with vegan goodness, Project Pollo’s Cheez Burger is hands-down the best. My husband loves it, too!
- Address: Multiple Locations in San Antonio
- Website: Project Pollo
Craziest Spicy Burger Challenge: Chunky’s Burgers
Daredevils from across the world flock to the unassuming Chunky’s Burgers to take on its insane 4 Horsemen spicy burger challenge. You might have seen this burger joint on Man Versus Food for their burger challenge, but Chunky’s regular burgers are delicious, too. I’m a fan of the Island Burger, which comes with teriyaki and pineapple for a different twist. If it’s your first time at Chunky’s, try the BIG Chunk, a burger with queso, fried onion rings, and bacon.
- Address: 4602 Callaghan Road, San Antonio, TX 78228
- Website: Chunky’s Burgers
Best Burger With Live Music: Sam’s Burger Joint
My college friends loved spending their weekends at Sam’s Burger Joint because of the live music, but the food is great, too. The Old Fashion burger is a good, old-timey burger that anyone would love, but the one-pound BigUn is also a tasty challenge for anyone who’s really hungry.
- Address: 330 East Grayson Street, San Antonio, TX 78215
- Website: Sam’s Burger Joint
Best Charcoal-Grilled Burger In Town: Frontier Burger
Frontier Burger opened a location across from my husband’s office and he says the smell is irresistible by the lunchtime rush. Frontier Burger made its way on this list because it charcoal grills its burgers, which gives every sandwich a smoky flavor that you can’t find anywhere else. I’m a huge fan of the Patty Melt, but the Ol’ Smoky Burger’s slathering of hickory sauce is amazing, too.
- Address: 828 NE Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Website: Frontier Burger
Best Chain Burger: Culver’s
Maybe I’ll get some heat from my fellow San Antonians over this, but Culver’s has one of the best burgers in town. In my opinion, it’s way better than Freddy’s, thanks to its fried cheese curds and creamy frozen custard. So sure, this chain is actually from Wisconsin, but they still grill up a mean burger that deserves an honorary spot on the list.
- Address: 5836 De Zavala Road, San Antonio TX 78249
- Website: Culver’s